Re: OpenOffice 2.0/ StarOffice 8.0

Waleed Hosny wrote:
Hi All,

Salam,

I would like to wish all of you a happy Eid vacation. I am interested to get some feeling about your evaluation of Arabic support in OO2.0/SO 8.0.
Things like:

I downloaded OOo-2.0rc1 a while back, below are my comments

- Is it usable from the user interface point of view?

Yes. very usable, and *familiar*. Familiarity here is key to switching.

- Is it easy for users to switch to OO/SO? or do users needs training to switch to OO/SO?

IMHO yes. The menus and concepts are all familiar to office users.

- Are you satisfied with the current Arabic support?

Im not a very advanced office user, especially for arabic uses, but as far as I have used it, It was easy, and yet again 'familiar'.

I dont remember if I had to enable 'Complex Text Layout (CTL)' or not
but, I remember in OOo-1.0 it was disabled by default, and that caused
me a lot of pain.

- What Arabic features do you like to see in next releases?

hmmm, Whats going on with the spell checkers ? No Myspell dictionaries available ? Is it available in SO and not in OOo ?

I would appreciate all your comments/experience.

Overall, I think version 2.0 really is a mature office suite and needs to be well promoted and advertised here in egypt, any plans in that front ?

Ahmad Khalifa