Re: Quran data and issues in encoding the Quran in unicode

It's good that a discussion is going on. However, I think someone need
to lead the discussion in a detailed manner so that a proposal to
unicode can be made ASAP. I made the quran data public with the
intention of getting the issues resolve. I've made my point the
regarding the issues, and seems that others agree that those are the
issues need to resolve, but they might differeces in opinion on how to
solve it, which is good.

Let me made clear a few points. First, my goal with the project. What
I would like to have is some thing like this. We should have the quran
encoded in full with the ability to extract it in 3 forms: the
original Uthmani script (without the marks, dot is ok to encure the
character), the current visual representation (according to madinah
mushaf), and the current spelling to the words, which is more suitable
for searching (esp for meaning). I think I manage to achive the 2nd
goal with the workaround found in the file.

Second, I'm not an arabic speaker, thus not very well versed in arabic
grammar etc (I did took a course in elementary arabic though, and
quite well versed in Quranic tajweed rules) So , it will be a bit
difficult for me to accomplish the 3rd goal. This is where I really
need help from others. That's why I post this issues to arabeyes, and
hope that the encoding issues can be resolve asap. I don't really have
a strong opinion on how it should have been done, it does not really
matter to me as long as the standard is define.

To accomplish the 3rd goal, we need a rasm scholar. I think in my
town, we don't have any. There might be a few in my country, but not
sure. Some might argue the need of this,but I personally think that it
would be the best if we can do this, so that the quran will be
preserved in it's original state  (in digital form, or course)

On top of that, there is one more goal, that would be great if we can
accomplish also. That is, the different reading style of the quran.
The files from the site is based on the madinah mushaf, which is based
on Hafs reading. I think the Madinah Quran complex print at least 2
edition, which is the Hafs and Warsh. A friend of mine, who is from
Mali, said that people from his country use Qaloon style. I really
would like to have a copy of each to see the diffrerent style.  Anyone
would like to send me a copy (other than the Hafs style) are most
welcome.

Final note, I will release a totally new font which I created from
scratch (digitally). The font was created from the actual mushaf, and
I think this will pleased most people. The font will not have any
truetype hint at all, but the quality rendered under linux is awesome
(thanks to freetype autohinter). Under windows, it renders ok, but not
that great. One of the issues that prevented me from realeasing it
earlier was the license. ATM, I don't see any advantage of releasing
it under GPL, since there is no source code involve here. The font is
the source. So, I've decided to release it Free for non commercial use
(use and distribution). Hope you will enjoy it.

Regards.