Re: Amr Khaled and Linux

I think this is an AWESOME idea.

Ali Echihabi wrote:

Salam,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, we can spread GNU/Linux by contacting the Life Makers team.

I believe we can help them in their own efforts by giving them a free
standard platform (special packaging of the Linux distro of your
choice), that we can tailor at their exact needs.

And since the Arabeyes team has put a lot of effort to translate open
source applications in Arabic, I think that if any Arabic version of
Linux (using Arabic KDE, Mozilla, etc...) should reach the masses then
Arabeyes should be taking some credit.

At the same time, Arabeyes will get publicity/recognition and its vision
will reach a great number of people.

How about we start this project (Hayat Linux) and see if it will have a
good response from the Life Makers team.

Here is how most people targeted by this project will be using the
computer:

- check and send email
- chat
- surf the web
- read and post to forums
- use office suite to create and read documents.

What we can do is the following:

1) choose a linux distro (the one Arabeyes team prefers)
2) remove the packages that are not necessary for learners (remove
packages like Apache, MySQL...)
3) package only the necessary applications for a learner: Arabic KDE,
Mozilla, Open Office and any other learner-relevant GNU application
available in Arabic thanks to Arabeyes... (this should result in a very
efficient OS that could run fine on old computers, since this is what
most learners will have access to at home)
4) Write scripts that standardize the environment: desktop background
(Life Makers logo), desktop icons, start menu, etc...

This packaging of applications could also be used in Arabic high-schools
and set the background to the logo of the high school.

This project will then allow the spread of computer literacy in Arabic
homes and schools at low cost. The learner's experience will be easier
and uniform between the computers at home, at school and at the cyber
café (they just need to ask for Hayat Linux).

I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions.

Regards,

Ali Echihabi
MMath Candidate, University of Waterloo.
(519) 497- 5712