Re: Arabic aspell dictionary ?

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:21, Ahmed El-Mahmoudy wrote:
> > Is there an arabic aspell dictionary ? If not, is it possible that the
> > arabic-wordlist project would have a script to convert the po's to aspell
> > dictionary file ?
>
> It's not that simple. Aspell attaches a bit of metadata along with each
> word and to compile a dictionary for it, there will have to be a
> substantial amount of work for it. It also isn't worth the effort and I
> would be _very_ much against spending that kind of time on creating a
> dictionary compatible with aspell vs. creating a dictionary for duali
> [1].
>
> In either case, there is a significant overhead of manually building the
> dictionary.
>
> [1] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=duali

I'm no expert on the field, but this exact topic came up during our recent
"party" on IRC [2].  I'm not sure how long ago aspell was last probed and
prodded, but from what was noted on IRC it sounds like prefix and suffix
support has been added.  During the party it was noted that hspell, the
hebrew spell-checker, was being "merged" into and incorporated into aspell.

In short, it might be worth-while to re-touch base with aspell's authors
to see if there is enough common ground to work together.

NOTE: the building of the actual dictionary will continue to be needed
      thought no matter which direction is opted for (it is the main
      missing ingredient).

Just my $0.02's worth.

[2] http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/ae_admin/irc/irc.party_jul2004
    http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/ae_admin/irc/irc.summary_jul2004