Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

Salam,

During our latest Core meeting, one of the items on the agenda was
Arabeyes' official policy with regard to the bidi algorithm
implementation to use. This has been spurred because of the recent
discussions on CUPS requirements.

1. Fribidi is the primary bidi lib to be used if license not an
   issue.
2. miniBidi must quickly comply/conform to the entire
   standard
3. miniBidi is to remain simple, educational and bleeding-edge.

In the case where a particular application/library/etc. has specific
requirements that conflict with the use of FriBiDi, Arabeyes is to
coordinate with FriBiDi authors and maintainers. It is expected that
FriBiDi authors/maintainers will be tasked with the 'persuasion' if
necessary. However, Arabeyes will not get in the business of persuading
external project to use a particular implementation -- we are in the
business of making the application(s) support Arabic. We would make our
preference to use FriBiDi clear, but it is the responsibility of FriBiDi
to convince external project author(s) to the merits of FriBiDi.

Because this could lead to bottle-necks, a deadline would be given to
have the external project make a final decision. If during this time,
they would still not consider FriBiDi, miniBiDi would automatically be
used.

One of the reasons this policy is important to be stated explicitly is
so it is clear that miniBiDi is _NOT_ meant to compete with FriBiDi. We
have seen in the past how projects may have their own special
requirements (licensing conflicts, coding conflicts, etc.) and a more
flexibly licensed implementation was/is the only solution.

P.S. [off-topic] It is also worth noting that FriBiDi's lack of shaping still
remains to be a serious short-coming of the library.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |