Re: [Fwd: Re: CUPS Arabic support ?]

I still think there's no problem, please note, FriBidi's source
IS available, and they can provide it, or simply refer to
FriBidi's pages.  Whatever code Arabeyes contributes to CUPS is
subject to relicensing.

Speaking generally (not limited to CUPS), GNU FriBidi is a fairly
new library needed for i18n that is going to be used by many
applications.  It's sane to assume it installed on Linux
machines.  Right now GNOME and AbiWord use it, and many smaller
applications, like mplayer, have compile time options to link to
it.  And any application using that should give a compile-time
option to exclude it.  I'm also thinking about a system to
disable it at running time if not available.  Still I think a
conditional activation partly solves the problem, so for example
you won't get bidi on a non-free-software version of CUPS running
on a PocketPC.

Shachar, you here right?  Can you please use your expertize and
let us know what are the conditions for linking statically to an
LGPLed library?  I know that LGPL implies "being able to upgrade
the library".  So, it means that for static linkage you should
have access to the source code, and just that, right?

I try to check it later myself with fsf.org and let people here
know.

behdad