Re: Pango's character composing...

--- Ken Beesley <Ken dot Beesley at xrce dot xerox dot com> wrote:

> Hello Osama Khayat,

Hi,

> I have just joined Arabeyes, and I found your offer
> of a "bounty"
> in the archives.

A bit late.. isn't it? ;)

> I am new to Linux, as well as to Arabeyes, but I do
> have some
> experience in writing input methods for Unicode.

Great. Maybe you can help in other projects like
Putty.

> Last week I
> wrote a GTK+ input method for Georgian script, and
> got it working
> in gedit.  Then yesterday I wrote a similar input
> method for Arabic,
> and got it working in gedit (more or less).

Seems interesting.

> The problem is that the Arabic script is rendered
> right-to-left, but very
> poorly.  My gedit does not show the proper
> contextual glyphs for each
> letter, and harakat are displayed before (to the
> right of) the letter on
> which they should sit.
>
> I'm running Red Hat 9.x with Gnome 2.4 and gedit
> 2.4.1.
>
> Questions:
> 1.  What do I need to install/change to get better
> Arabic rendering in
> gedit?

I really don't know much about this stuff, so I'm
CC'ing our mailing list.

> 2.  Did your bounty result in a better solution?

It seems like it's almost finished, although I noticed
that harakat (diacretics - umlaut) aren't perfect yet.

Stay tuned, mabye more bounties coming on the way...
;)

Ossama