Re: [putty]Re: PuTTY Bidi - final points

We have 3 options here then,
1. Contact ICU's authors and FSF for clarification on ICU's
   license (I doubt ICU/IBM was shooting for anything that is
   NOT fully GPL-compatible - I also thought ICU is being used
   in GPL projects, no ?).  This might actually get resolved
   very fast with recent attention to the license changes on
   Xfree and Apache and would play well with regard to the
   SCO/IBM lawsuits, etc.  Simon ?
2. Find other Bidi code alternatives (do any others exist) ?
3. Write our own (which seems rather silly at this stage, but...)
Simon, how does the patch look so far (ie. with regard to adding
PuTTY's own shaping, etc) ?
How should we proceed ?  As noted, we are ready to get Bidi's
inclusion done and resolved so we can forge ahead with other
issues (waiting around in limbo is simply painful).  We just
need to know what to use.

4. we could use fribidi in an external library, that is distributed separately. i think that PuTTY's arabic users wont mind DLing a .dll file thats a few hundred KBs to enable Bidi... that way we wont have license issues, and the Bidi bug can be thrown out in a few days... i dont think that porting an external library would be that difficult... all u have to do is add a few lines about how to enable BIDI in PuTTY's Docs.

btw the shaping code needs some optimization, like moving
mallocs to another place where it gets called once, instead of
on every redraw. and also call it upon Resizing. anyway i'll look
into that if you're OK with how the code is and how it works...

PS: if you're wondering who i am, im ahmad khalifa the one who
wrote the putty_arabic.patch

ak.