Re: New wiki page for QT bugs

On Yaum al-Ithnain 11 Rabi` al-Thaani 1425 06:46 pm, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
> Salam,
>
> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 19:56, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > 1. In a QLineEdit: brackets, braces, parenthesis,
> > greater and less than signs, ... are always reversed. Please check
> > yourself against the latest snapshots and give feedback.
>
> Yes. I do confirm and this is not specific to KDE, it's QT's. However, now
> that I think about it, I'm not sure this is a bug anymore. I mean an
> 'opening bracket' is supposed to stay 'opening' even if you change from LTR
> to RTL, no ? This is the same for the '>' sign and Co. For example, in LTR,
> you write '2 > 1', if you reverse the direction, you should read '1 < 2'.
>
> What do others think ?

Is it LEFT PARENTHESIS or an open parenthesis?
I think you will be right if Unicode naming is wrong. So it's a bug somewhere.

> > 2. Another point: switching the language to Arabic should change the
> > shape of the cursor to point to the left (something like `| not |` ).
> > Now, this happen when one begins typing in Arabic the correct behavior
> > should be upon switching the language not begining typing with the
> > language, isn't it?
>
> Not sure. When there's no text in a QLineEdit, or only Latin chars, the
> cursor has no shape (it's a '|' actually). The cursor changes shape only
> when there are Arabic chars (mixed with Latin or not) and its direction
> notes the QLineEdit's alignment. This looks very logical to me (well, maybe
> the cursor should be shapeless too when there are only Arabic chars in the
> QLineEdit's alignment is RTL).
>
> What do others think ?

Don't you like to know which lang is going to be typed from the cursor shape
before begining to type and discover you have to switch the keyboard layout?

> > 3. The dancing effect(tm): This happens for example when I select an
> > Arabic text in a message I received in kmail or in konquror. Of course
> > you need to describe it in a better way. I well remember someone (nadim?)
> > has said something about this somewhere (putty?) before.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. You need to explain it a little.

I am not sure if I can explain it better. Go to any Arabic site like
aljazeera.net. Select any line of text with your mouse. Keep pressing the
mouse and unselect it. I mean move your hand as if you are brushing your
teeth in an unheathy way from left to right and to left again. You will see
the dancing text. Sigh!

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA