Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

 --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:08:50PM +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > Can you explain to me one reason that let people chose Fribidi over
> minibidi
> > if both would be 100% compliant and the minibidi license is more
> > permissible?!!!

Well, they don't have to.

> > Behdad, Ahmed, do you think we can go like this?
> >

> We already are.

Munzir, you know better. This is a 'core' level decision.
The magic word 'core' seems to be appearing more and more these days.
In another topic which I didn't want to comment about, something would have to
be revoked by core not QAC. There was no reason to comment after that.

I am thinking of redoing unicode coding (already bought my Unicode 4 standard
book:) in order to learn. Naturally, this will be the umpteenth implementation.
As they say, the best things in standards is that there are so many to choose
from;)

I expect it to take 18 months to complete, so make use of what is available for
the time being. Targets are the small devices, and I may make a Python module.

It will be under the MIT license (http://www.x.org/Downloads_terms.html) which
by the way includes the sentence:
'Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not
be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings
in this Software without prior written authorization of the copyright holder.'
and is regarded by GNU as more or less equivalent to the revised BSD license.

While no plan currently exists for the unification with FriBiDi (license
issues) or miniBiDi (I want to learn on my own), future coordination is
welcome. In particular, a unified interface for all of them will be for the
benefit of all (well, not all).

Before any comments on why, what, how, let me add one more statement.

Effectively today, I am suspending my membership in Arabeyes. I understand I am
currently responsible for some issues which I would like to clear up. I will be
delightful if somebody could take the maintainer job at BiCon as we need at
least one maintainer. As for the Distros project, I prefer Munzir to continue
with some help from you.
I will probably fork BiCon some time in the future to support my library, if
need arises. Sorry Behdad, we all know it's your baby. This will be outside the
Arabeyes framework.
I will probably get one or two documents about Fedora in the MAPS style. I will
be thankful if Arabeyes can still host those.

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri