Re: RPM specs and other distro packages

Munzir Taha wrote:

> Elzubeir, may be you are familiar with debian's inconvienient

I find it rather suitable actually -- but some distro's prefer
convenience over quality *cough*remindsmeofwindows*cough* ;)

> multi-files source packages. In rpm-based distros, the srpm contains
> the spec file inside it so every one can download it to get the spec
> file. easy? Besides you can have more than one patch in srpms not like
> in Debian ;)

Yes, but what does that have to do with what I have asked? As a courtesy to the
upstream author of any package, I would let that author know that I am
packaging his/her project and provide him/her with the source of the packaging
file(s). This is not really just an Arabeyes thing, but a general thing.

In the future, when you want to package it, you simply checkout what's in CVS
and you go -- be it a one file spec or a collection of scripts and files. It's
also nice for the upstream author to be able to tell the rest of the world
whether his/her package is available in a given distro's repository or else
provide the package for download (if available).

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir