Re: X.org influence

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs dot toronto dot edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> > I'm affraid this topic has veered a bit from Anmar's initial much
> > needed question on what is needed from X.org - that info is still
> > needed !!  Are we ready to say we do NOT need anything from them ?
>
> I, talking for myself, say all we need is to updated our keyboard
> maps.  Nothing else that I can see right now, as a Fedora user.
> Maybe just that old "fixed" fonts problem.

OK, any other points/issues ?  We need to close on this issue
(Anmar do please drive this topic), to get it publicized sooner
rather than later.

> > > Oh, I'm afraid the consequense would be that, Kacst fonts are
> > > removed from the distro, and replaced by fonts that support the
> > > whole block.
> >
> > Behdad, I'd suggest you outline the glyphs that are needed for
> > Farsi so we can at a min try to augment all our fonts with them.
> > I'd also suggest you add the missing farsi fonts to KACST and
> > re-release 'em under a different name (it is GPL after all) until
> > such a time that the KACST folk take that requirement more seriously
> > and we can open a more constructive dialog with them on this topic.
>
> Sounds good.  Is the name copyrighted?  If not, then no need to
> change the name.  Behnam, can you provide a list of glyphs as per
> the spec you have been involved in?

Not sure about the name - but it would be best to have a different
name and/or a variant of it so as not to get in any "pride" issues.

We're still waiting for that list of glyphs :-)

> > For the umteenth time - we really need more font expertise, can
> > we setup a time on IRC to discuss font issues with the Farsi
> > font experts with regard to hinting, etc, etc ?  We also need
> > volunteers interested in this to raise their hands...
>
> As I said before, I'm kinda is OpenType a pharmacy type of a guy.
> Behnam and Roozbeh are our experts (plus Mehran and Soheil which
> I guess are not listening here).

If you are a pharmacy guy, them I'm the jackhammer guy :-)  Do please
contact those experts - we really need some pointers (we'd be willing
to do all the work given a bit of direction and know-how) to get all
these fonts done correctly.

Thanks & Salam.