Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Please help with the bidi Emacs

From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz at gnu dot org>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:28:43 +0300
> From: Thamer Mahmoud <neokuwait at myrealbox dot com>

This is expected, and I tried to explain it in my message; sorry if I
was unclear.  The bidi Emacs is not ready to be a useful editor yet,
it crashes very soon after you turn on the default-enable-bidi-display
flag.  I think this will happen even if you don't insert any
character; just visiting a file with characters that require
reordering should be enough.

Please consider debugging the current code to fix the bugs.

> #0 0x40278081 in kill () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
> #1 0x080efd8c in abort () at emacs.c:417
> #2 0x08094a30 in bidi_resolve_neutral (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1438
> #3 0x08094f87 in bidi_level_of_next_char (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1549
> #4 0x080952eb in bidi_get_next_char_visually (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1725

well, i took a quick look at bidi_resolve_neutral() (from the stack above) , and this
block doesnt really look nice. needs some more parenthesis i think.

 if (!(type == STRONG_R
	|| type == STRONG_L
	|| type == WEAK_BN
	|| type == WEAK_EN
	|| type == WEAK_AN
	|| type == NEUTRAL_B
	|| type == NEUTRAL_S
	|| type == NEUTRAL_WS
	|| type == NEUTRAL_ON))
   abort ();

make it

 if (!((type == STRONG_R)
	|| (type == STRONG_L)
	|| (type == WEAK_BN)
	|| (type == WEAK_EN)
	|| (type == WEAK_AN)
	|| (type == NEUTRAL_B)
	|| (type == NEUTRAL_S)
	|| (type == NEUTRAL_WS)
	|| (type == NEUTRAL_ON)))
   abort ();

i did have some unexplicable problems because of parenthesis
sometimes...

The code in bidi.c where it crashes was written by me, so I should be
able to help you figure out what's wrong.  Unfortunately, I don't
have time to debug it myself; that's why I asked for help here.

if i could compile it i could help, but i cant :(

anyway, i tried ./configure then make. "make" gives this error.

[root at localhost emacs]# make
Your tree does not include the compiled Lisp files.
You need to do `make bootstrap' to build Emacs.
Emacs now requires Texinfo version 4.2.
make: *** [maybe_bootstrap] Error 1
[root at localhost emacs]#

and "make bootstrap" gives a big 27 MB file in /src and this error

Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Dumping under names emacs and emacs-22.0.0
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/em/emacs/src'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
[root at localhost emacs]#

i wanted to help, but couldnt get the thing compiled, any hints ?

ak.