Re: Kuran for Java

Assalamu Alaikum,

Mohammed Yousif wrote:
On Thursday 01 April 2004 20:11, Riyad Preukschas wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

Great.  I reiterate my earlier questions though of why you didn't take
up Arabeyes' offer to host this project ...

I did, but there was a pending affirmation from the Quran project maintainers. See: http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/March/msg00130.html

hmm, don't tell me that I said 'no' :-)
Seriously,

It's not the point that you said 'no', because you didn't. But you didn't say 'yes' either ;-) Thats where it got stuck.

... build upon what is already
in Arabeyes' CVS (there is already a Java application there being worked
on my Mr. Ahmed El-Helw).

http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/quran/jquran/

I know. Please, look at my answer mail to Ahmed El-Helw for more information.

Where is that? did I miss it?

Maybe yes, because I sent it a little after this mail. Here it is: http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/April/msg00022.html

  As I said before, It's about making a central place for all of these things,
  and I'm not a boss, I'm a mere maintainer to my _own_ projects not others'
  That means that when you import your work, it's still yours and you still
  have full control over it (no one will force you to do anything).

I didn't say you would and I don't think you will. But it is good that all effort is being centered at a particular place. Again: I'd like my project to be put under the umbrella of arabeyes.org.

  Anyway if you still don't see any benefit from doing that, you don't have
  to but before deciding I would like to tell you some facts about the history
  of the Qur'an Project, it started as a thread in a public forum (Haydar
  Linux forums), here:
    http://forum.haydarlinux.org/viewthread.php?tid=49
  It was a very very very simple application that didn't even include the
  text (can you imagine that?)
  This is a "now historic" screenshot:
    http://forum.haydarlinux.org/
viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=49&pid=517

  At that point I was frustated and was willing to give up the whole idea.
  That was until Arabeyes hosted the project, things then get rolling and
  it became a library and a two clients and hence the Qur'an Project was born.
  The point is that when I wrote the initial version, I didn't even imagine
  that it will be such a big (and a rather big one because of its various
  components) project.

Al-hamdu Li-llah you didn't give up.
Your project was an inspiration and a base to build on to many others:
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte440v/code.html
http://www.islam-reunion.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=129&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
http://quran.linuxtunisie.com/
http://kuran.sf.net/
and maybe even more, who have not made it public yet or I've just forgotten them (sorry, just add them if you know some more).

The amount of work people invest in these projects is enormous, and I appreciate it very much!

All of you, please, continue with your great work!

Salam,
	Riyad Preukschas