Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: emacs-bidi - funtional/ready, now what ?

> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:15:09 -0800
> From: Kamal Dalal <kamal+arabeyes at banoora dot net>
>
> An incremental bidi algorithm is very interesting. I went through the
> archives and could not find more information that shed more light on
> such an algorithm. Did I miss it ?

I described several aspects of that implementation several times, but
I don't know whether my explanations ``shed more light'' on it ;-)

> Eli, perhaps you will be willing to share this algorithm.

As I said several times here in the past, I'm uneasy about releasing
unfinished code.  I did say that I will gladly pass whatever I have to
individuals who will demonstrate that they are determined to work on
bidi Emacs.

> I am researching possible solutions for a bidi aware terminal for
> Windows (GPL) and such an algorithm may be very useful.

Really?  I'd be surprised: terminals display text line by line, so a
batch-style reordering such as in FriBidi would be more than adequate,
I think.  I think I've read somewhere that there are a couple of
bidi-aware terminal emulators out there which use FriBidi.

Also, Windows inherently supports bidi, so it sounds like you don't
need anything to have what you want.

Can you tell why do you think a sequential algorithm would be useful
for a terminal?