Re: Need Arabic font and test doc for testing Vim patch

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Steve Hall <digitect mindspring com> wrote:
> >
> > Stupid question: English, non-Arabic speaker here wants to see
> > Arabic Vim in action. Seems like three things are needed:
> >
> > * Arabic text document
> > * Arabic font
> > * Instructions for setting the correct encoding. (:set
> >   encoding=utf-8)
> >
> > Could anybody here help me with the first two?
> > [snip]
>
> Hi Steve, thanks again for all your help and for lending us a much
> needed hand in pushing the patch forward.  I'm attaching an Arabic
> sample file (mostly arabic) that tests a number of things (Arabic is
> a rather complicated language with many exceptions in how things
> need to look and so this file has become my "litmus" test for
> applications claiming arabic support :-)

Thanks, a test file is perfect. If you get any screenshots back,
you'll have more helpful information.

> In terms of fonts - microsoft has some (as was noted earlier); you
> can also find others on arabeyes' resource page (note "Free Fonts"
> section).  The complete 10x20 font file is also floating around (I'm
> not sure if its on the resource page -- M.Elzubeir is it ? If not
> could you please include it :-)

Vim does not make any of these fonts available to me via the GUI font
dialog (or rejects them if I try to override)... this on the Windows
platform. Are any of these fonts monospace? (They don't appear so.)

> The instructions have already been pasted or you can read the entire
> Readme file,
>
>   http://cvs.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/vim/README?rev=1.5

Hmm... this appears Unix only, has there been success on Windows?

> > I'd like to post these with our Arabic-supporting Vim binaries so
> > that non-speakers can reliably test. (And broaden all our horizons
> > a bit.)
>
> No problem.  I asked at one point Bram and the website maintainer to
> include Arabic screenshots of vim, but I never heard back (I had
> mailed them the shots).

Our site references both your screenshots. If you can help me get this
working I'll add more! (I assume the Linux side works, and won't
explore this further for now. One partition at a time. ;)

Steve Hall [ [digitect]*[mindspring]*[com] ] -- Try Cream in your Vim... gentler till you're ready for full strength! http://cream.sourceforge.net