Re: VIM for Windows supporting Arabic (I love it)

NOTE: PLEASE obfuscate my email addresses should you quote it anywhere.

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:59:49PM -0500, digitect(at)mindspring(dot)com wrote:

> Sorry, I am asking for an Arabic support *patch* against a *recent Vim
> patch level*. I myself had no difficulties applying the old patch to
> the original Vim source for 6.1.0. But it is now 8 months old and I
> wanted to test against the current patch level, now somewhere around
> 6.2.284. (For the record, just for kicks, I tried to apply it against
> patches 1-174 but was mostly hunk failures as you would expect
> considering the number of patches to date.)

I don't know what you were having difficulties with. I just went through
the painful process of handpicking the patches on ftp (since for some
reasons wget refuses to grab them all).. needless to say, Gentoo's vim
package is selective on what patches to apply.

I did not experience any problems with the arabic shaping patch. In fact,
I have had one failure, and that was patch 230 (which is unrelated to
the Arabic shaping patch). I went up all the way to 284 and then applied
the arabic shaping patch. There were a few line offsets, but that's it.
Nothing that requires any additional work. I also noticed that some of
the patches also had some line offsets. I don't think that's a big
deal.

> Nadim understood this, but was (understandably) quite frustrated with
> having to constantly revise the patch in order to keep it current
> against the ever-progressing Vim patches. Again, I can make no promise
> that the effort to update it will make it any more accepted by Vim's
> author, but I wanted to try and give us an opportunity to convince him
> that numerous individuals tried it against all the fixes to date and
> had no problems.

Again, I am doing all this on a Linux machine and not Windows. I don't know
what difference there is.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: