Re: xfree fonts

--- Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh sharif edu> wrote:

[snip snip]

> A new version, with all new Unicode 4.0 glyphs that can fit in
> a 10x20 box (which means all new Arabic characters minus U+FDFD
> ARABIC LIGATURE BISMILLAH AR-RAHMAN AR-ARRAHEEM) are available at:
>
> 	http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html

Roozbeh, I got the following fonts from the site you note above,

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/download/ucs-fonts.tar.gz

Two questions/comments -

 1. Do you know if XFree86 is going to play games and strip out
    the much needed Form-B glyphs upon installation ?  If so, can
    we convince them not to do that (we tried once before and I
    don't know what came of it, but we didn't succeed :-)

 2. In the fonts noted in the links above - 3 have form-B glyphs.
    10x20, 9x15 and 9x15B -- but the later two have problems.
    I don't have time right now to investigate the missing glyph(s),
    but there is definitely at least one that's not there as it
    relates to arabic.

    Try to use those fonts to view the fakkir.net/~nadim/ar_utf8
    file (there for a limited time :-) and note how the Alef in
    Allah is not properly displayed (there are others in the file
    as you scroll down I believe) - the 10x20 font is fine.

Sorry for the rush and lack of details, but you should clearly see
what I mean (try the font with your favorite editor).