Re: Redhat 7.3 and Arabic

Once upon a time Ossama Khayaat wrote @ Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:45:38 +0300

> Well, I followed the steps in the arabic-howto.en using RedHat 7.3 & 8.
> It worked fine in both except that I had broken letters in RH8 but it's
> working fine
> in RH 7.3
>
> thanks
> Ossama

Check the inlined message below
sylpheed refused to attach it,

> Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
>
> > Salam,
> >
> > There's unfortunately no panacea yet to fix arabic in Linux, though
> > there has been a fine progress done in this field.
> >
> > Search the arabeyes website http://www.arabeyes.org/cgi-bin/htsearch ,
> > have a look at the arabeyes mailing-lists archives and visit these links:
> > http://www.arabeyes.org/howto/arabic-howto.en/
> > http://www.linux-egypt.org/article/42?PHPSESSID=8bf45b4dbbce2e32d537d461581c76df
> >
> > Wishing you a good luck,
> >
> > Youcef.
> >

> >> From: real no dream
> >> Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 and Arabic
> >> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:29:04 +0100 (CET)
> >>
> >> assalam alikom wa ra7matoo allah wa brakatoh
> >>
> >> i'm working with red hat 8.0 , and i don't know what i
> >> need to install the arabic (enable) what package
> >> needed and what i have to do to support the arabic
> >> language for kde &gnome
> >>

> >> if you know how to do this please help me
> >>

> >> thank you in advance

- -- In lined message --
From: Ahmad Kamal <eng_ak [at] link [dot] net>
To: linux_Egypt [at] yahoogroups [dot] com
Subject: [Linux_Egypt] Tips to get Arabic on RedHat8
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 23:28:58 +0200

Hi all,

	I've been fighting (with M. sameer's help) to get Arabic on my RedHat8 for
a few days now. However, I couldn't do it. But today, I read a simple tip
on the net that worked for me!!

Here it is:
$mkdir /usr/share/fonts/default/msttf
$ cp /mnt/win_d/windows/Fonts/*.ttf	/usr/share/fonts/default/msttf
Finally, edit your /etc/fonts.conf. You will find in the first few lines
the paths that contain fonts, just add the new path to them
<dir>/usr/share/fonts/default/msttf</dir>
logout then login

That's it. Now KDE and Gnome (and terminal after configuration) both
read/write arabic text/filenames. I'm not quite sure why it works, but it does!
Actually it's very simple. I wish someone told me that a week ago : )
You may now want to add the keyboard layout switcher to the launch pad
(very useful)
Hope someone finds this useful.
PS: The paths mentioned here may not be exact. Everything is from my
volatile memory.

Koll sana wentom taybeen ya gama3a. Wishing to see more penguins between us
next year.

- --
- -- Katoob Main Developer
Linux registered user # 224950
ICQ # 58475622
FIRST  make  it  run, THEN make it run fast "Brian Kernighan".