Re: hdate license

--- Ayman Negm <a dot negm at hamburg dot de> wrote:
> I maintain hdate in debian and overtake the upstream work also since the
> upstream disapeared and the old debian maintainer who put hdate into
> debian archiv had overtaken the upstream work also , I tried more than once
> to get into contact with the
> old author without success, and I asked other debian Developers and they
> meant the old maintaner overtook
> the upstream work and he has disapeared, so I can overtake his work and so I
> did,
> I can change the licence issue, that would not be a big deal

Is this all legal to do ?  Meaning if the author shows up say in 2 years
and sees his work fully modified and his original license removed would
he have grounds to sue, etc ?   Is there someone within Debian (legal
counsel) that you can ask about this seemingly serious issue (with all
the lawsuits that are taking shape of recent days/months).

Do keep in mind that we are working on a replacement, so there is no
major harm in getting an honest "no, this is too hairy; don't use it"
answer.  It'll take us a bit to get all that we need to mimic and
surpass the old code, but its very much doable.