Re: hdate license

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:51:04AM -0800, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> Salam,
>
> I have had a look at hdate's source and I like it. Very organized and
> actually has the potential to be maintained. However, I am very confused
> by the license. There is a GPL license file in the package, yet the
> source code has the following (excerpt from hconv.c):
>
> /* hconv.c
>  *
>  * Copyright (c) 1992 by Waleed A. Muhanna
>  *
>  * Permission for nonprofit use and redistribution of this software and
>  * its documentation is hereby granted without fee, provided that the
>  * above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
>  * documentation.
>  *
>  * No representation is made about the suitability of this software for
>  * software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or
>  * implied warranty.
>  *
>  * Send any comments/suggestions/fixes/additions to:
>  *              wmuhanna at magnus dot acs dot ohio-state dot edu
>  *
>  */
>

> The above header comment (present in each file) is rather contradictory
> of the GPL.. so unless this issue is cleared I am afraid it will be very
> difficult to make use of the code as-is.

I maintain hdate in debian and overtake the upstream work also since the
upstream disapeared and the old debian maintainer who put hdate into
debian archiv had overtaken the upstream work also , I tried more than once to get into contact with the
old author without success, and I asked other debian Developers and they meant the old maintaner overtook
the upstream work and he has disapeared, so I can overtake his work and so I did,
I can change the licence issue, that would not be a big deal

Salam
--
Ayman Negm
a dot negm at hamburg dot de