Re: Developer Guide

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:58:19PM +0100, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:

Salam,

> You want feedback ? Here it comes ;-)

I knew I could count on you!

> 1- Could you add a small paragraph on how to use the superbe 'Arabeyes Web
> Todo Manager' ? ;) [I could write it though. In that case, just mark as a
> todo for me ;)]

Ah.. you write that.

> 2- I think a paragraph about autotools would be welcome [though maybe it
> wouldn't fit inside the developer guide ?, not sure].

Yes, it occurred to me that I need to add a tidbit about that about half
an hour ago. What I will mention is to simply omit auto-generated files
and either have a Makefile.cvs or autogen.sh to create them. I know some
people are pro this or that, and I'm not about to go to war over it. As
long as it is there. However, I think a  Makefile.cvs should be standard
and it in turn can call autogen.sh.

> 3- A few guidelines on what to do to make a release. Specifically for the
> beginner Arabeyes developer, but it would also be useful as a checklist for
> the 'senior' developers ;) Namely: How to deal with sourceforge, freshmeat
> etc.

Hrmm. Good point. I will add that.

> 4- Maybe a few guidelines on how to deal with the project webpage, logs,
> screenshots etc etc.

Shouldn't that be in another document? It seems to be generally for
project maintainers (be it a development project or otherwise).

Point 5 is missing.. missing missing!

Thanks a LOT for the feedback. It has been very helpful. Any others?
Aside from M.Yousif who said there were too many 'musts' in the document
that it was distracting ;)

Regards