Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree

In article <E19n8T9-00031X-S0 at fencepost dot gnu dot org>, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org> writes:
> So it sounds like some people are saying that the emacs-bidi code
> is usable as it stands and is worth installing, and nobody thinks
> it is useless.  Meanwhile, it looks like you are ready to make
> use of Eli's code in the short term.

> If we can use Eli's code soon enough, then it's not worth installing
> the Emacs-bidi code; it would just be extra work.  On the other hand,
> if it looks like the difficulty of using Eli's code is enough to make
> it hard, then I think we should install the Emacs-bidi code now.

Synchronizing emacs-unicode to HEAD will take a few weeks
more.  After that, I'll take a look at Eli's code and decide
what to do.  In any cases, I will install the changes for
BIDI in the branch emacs-unicode-2 because the current codes
of emacs-bidi depends on automatic-composition facitliy to
display Arabic and Hebrew, and that exists only in
emacs-unicode (and in emacs-bidi) version.  I'd like to
avoid the extra work of installing automatic-composition for
the current HEAD.

FYI, the automatic-composition is to call various character
composition functions from the dipslay routine dynamically
so that we don't have to run XXX-compose-region on file
reading and character inputting.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n dot org