Re: Arabic fonts

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Steve Hall <digitect mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are the fonts on arabeyes.org the only known Linux fonts that
> > support Arabic characters?
>
> All the fonts listed above ought to work given they are monospaced
> (that's a Vim requirement if memory serves); I know ae_fonts are
> monospaced, not sure about the others.  We've tried to list all
> available correctly formated (ie. right glyphs in right locations,
> complete, etc) fonts on arabeyes' resource page,
>
>   http://www.arabeyes.org/resources.php (search for "Free Fonts")

Ah, great page. Never found it looking for "fonts".

> > I'd like to compile and post a list of all known fonts that > > support Arabic in Unicode/UTF-8 if this would help. > > then > > "Roozbeh Pournader" <roozbeh sharif.edu> wrote: > > > http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#arabic > > > > is already a repository of such a thing. Try collaborating with > > Alan Wood instead of reinventing the wheel.

Nice. (And easier. ;) Any chance this could be linked at the first
arabeyes.org page above?

But I find only one *mono-spaced* font. I guess my interest is simply
listing fonts (Free or otherwise) that support Arabic in Vim, not
anything exhaustive like above.

> We'd like to also augment that resource page with any > findings/corrections (so Steve, do let us know). Note though that > we're only after "free/open source" fonts; microsoft has issues > about mirroring their fonts, etc.

I'll spend a little time the next few days looking and testing
Arabic-supporting mono-spaced fonts specifically in Vim, on Windows
and Linux.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect at mindspring dot com ]

Cream... the Vim text editor in sheep's clothing!
  http://cream.sourceforge.net