Re: Arabic fonts

--- Steve Hall <digitect mindspring.com> wrote:
> Are the fonts on arabeyes.org the only known Linux fonts that support
> Arabic characters? How many of these packages (from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34866) support
> it in UTF-8 (as required by the Vim patch)?
>
>      sharif.univ
>      lateef.shaikh_fonts
>      kacst_fonts
>      haydar_fonts
>      ae_fonts         <= just this one?
>
> Are there any others, even proprietary ones?

All the fonts listed above ought to work given they are monospaced
(that's a Vim requirement if memory serves); I know ae_fonts are monospaced,
not sure about the others.  We've tried to list all available correctly
formated (ie. right glyphs in right locations, complete, etc) fonts on
arabeyes' resource page,

  http://www.arabeyes.org/resources.php  (search for "Free Fonts")

> My biggest problem in figuring out the patch was fonts. (Which
> admittedly had nothing to do with the patch.) On Windows the *only*
> font I've found to support Arabic characters in Unicode is Microsoft's
> Courier New.
>
> I'd like to compile and post a list of all known fonts that support
> Arabic in Unicode/UTF-8 if this would help. Please email me directly
> with as much data about the font as you can:

then

"Roozbeh Pournader" <roozbeh sharif.edu> wrote:

>   http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#arabic
>
> is already a repository of such a thing. Try collaborating with
> Alan Wood instead of reinventing the wheel.

We'd like to also augment that resource page with any findings/corrections
(so Steve, do let us know).  Note though that we're only after "free/open
source" fonts; microsoft has issues about mirroring their fonts, etc.

Regards,