Re: Quran - Diwan's Unicode Encoding Proposal

At 7:32 am +0100 9/4/03, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>1. Diwan (via Mr. Adil Allawi) has a proposal which notes to unicode.org
>   the need to add some characters (and possible changes) that are
>   required in order to present The Holy Quran properly.
>
>     http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc17/a346.html
>     http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2003/April/pdf00000.pdf
>
>a. Regarding #1 above, what is being asked from Arabeyes - what do
>   we need to do to get this adopted (btw: is there a succinct document
>   that spells out all the requested changes/additions ?  A shear change
>   list if you will ?)
>   + Mr. Allawi, could you please address this ?

Diwan made this document when its Quran project was about 80% complete. Since then I had the chance to discuss the encoding issues with various Unicode luminaries at the conference and, with the completion of Diwan's Quran project I have further revised the requirements.

I do not really need any further help with making a proposal to the Unicode consortium - all I need is the time. Making a proposal the IUC cannot be taken lightly - one must back it up with arguments and justifications. With the various commercial pressures on my company my priorities are diverted but I hope to address this subject as soon as I can.

Regards,

Adil
Adil Allawi
Technical Director   Diwan Software Ltd