Re: Useful info for The Quran Project

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 22:48, Mete Kural wrote:

> Such a project would have two parts:
> 1) Developing the font(s) according to a set of proper
> encoding rules
> 2) Encoding the Quran text based on the encoding rules
> that were specified in step 1
>
> Step 1 requires a lot of knowledge of smart font
> technologies like OpenType and also a thorough
> knowledge of the orthographic properties of the Arabic
> language. This is where "experts" are needed.
>
> For step 2, you don't need to be an "expert" of font
> technology or Arabic. In fact you don't even need to
> know Arabic. This step could be divided into two
> groups of people.
>
> 1) A group of typers who will type the Quran into the
> computer.
> 2) A group of reviewers who will review what the
> typers typed and report their mistakes back to them.
>
> I would like to ask who would be interested in
> contributing to such a project. If you have interest
> please email me. You don't need to make a commitment
> or anything, just pure interest in this kind of a
> project.
>
> Should I count you as interested Walid?

As I have said earlier I am interested, and I am wondering why do you
need step 2. is it because of a completely different encoding, no
mapping can be done with current ones?, why not use the current texts?,
and if you can't use them in their entirety, surely they will save lots
of work if some type of partial mapping exist?.

Walid.