Re: Useful info for The Quran Project

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 18:28, Mete Kural wrote:
> Salaamun Aleykum,

> It is necessary to not use allographs in the encoded
> text in order to have a text that is highly useful.
> Say you are searching for a word in the Quran and you
> use a different allograph of the same grapheme in your
> search query, in this case the words that have
> different allographs of the same grapheme will not be
> matched. There are also several typography related
> problems that may come up due to the use of codepoints
> for allographs in encoding a text.
>
> Would any of you be willing to contribute to a project
> that seeks to develop fonts that encourages the use of
> graphemes only?
>
> Peace,
> Mete

Wow, I am quite impressed by the quality of these fonts, and how close
they represent the Arabic calligraphy. What would such a project
involve, what kind of skills, time, you are looking for!? not that I am
free to pursue it, but I am highly interested in things that are done
right,and I am sure there will be others that share this with me.

kind regards,

Walid.

P.S: I didn't look yet what graphemes, allographs means!!, but
definitely graphemes do impress people ;)