Re: Adding Farsi support to katoob

My Inbox Happily Received This From Arash Zeini @ Wed, 25 Sep 2002
16:45:42 +0330

> Hi,
>
> I installed Katoob 0.3 and tested it on KDE 3.0.0 and from the little
> typing done, I can say it seems to be working just fine for Farsi. I
> was not concerened about any other code pages, I just tested UTF-8 and
> opened the file also with KEdit and it all was fine. (Others will be
> able to give you more detailed information maybe)
UTF-8 support should work out of the box for any language!

> As there are already some converters for Iran System to UTF-8 and the
> like, I wouldn't be much concerened about this (just my personal
> opinion). BTW Mohammed: If you want to implement Iran System support
> and you want to have a look at a code, have a look at:
>
> http://www.linuxiran.org/downloads/Shabredo-130302.tar.gz
Thanks for that, I was searching for something like that already,

I just wanted to support all possible encodings. talking your idea:
supporting the ISO & cp1256 encodings is not necessary cause you can
always use iconv. for handling them, but for a final user that's not a
solution. that's why i want to support all possible encodings. yes they
are handled by iconv from katoob. but there are still many encodings
that are not handled "or hat's my imagination" so that's why i have to
implement them by hand.

> Suggestion:
> Remove the initial check for Arabic keyboard. It gives me an error
> when I run katoob because it doesn't find the necessary keyboard, and
> yet it works fine with KDE's keyborad layouts.
it won't be removed but another mechanism would be implemented.
what happens exactly is: if you have an Arabic keyboard configured using
the xkeyboard extension it'll work fine, if not katoob'll display that
woning and use the internal emulator. "it can be disabled"
so if i removed it and there is no keyboard configured, what'll happen ??
we can use the emulator directly without checking for the keymap. but the user'll miss any special keys he'd configured.
now that's handled for arabic, but it'll be available for all other languages that katoob'll support.

anyway that's a matter of users' opinion, if i get many requests to remove it and depend on the emulator, i'll remove it.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer