Fwd: Re: Arabic gkb

Subject: Re: Arabic gkb
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:54:11 +0200 (CEST)
From: Shooby Ban <shooby at gnome dot hu>
To: Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at arabeyes dot org>

 Hi Isam,

 I'm happy to hear from you. I guess the easiest way to produce an
xmodmap.ar to exec the command "xmodmap -pke > xmodmap.ar" when the arabic
keyboard layout is active. Then you can make your changes, and be able to
send me your final layout.

 I will put it into the next release, hopefully.

 By the way you will have to search the characters you want in some unicode
table, because in xmodmap.ar you will find some kind of unicode codes like
"U0636".

 I found a page
 (http://members.tripod.com/Adeveloper/ahowto/arabic-howto.html) in google,
 there is an arabic xmodmap, it contains numbers instead of Uxxxx.

 Please check that xmodmap file, maybe you will have less work using it.

]  I contacted you before for adding the Arabic to Gnome KB .. it seems that
]that it is not as we expected .. the setxkbmap is nto functioning as
]required.. so I thought about creating a xmodmap.ar .. I reviewed some
]existing files.. it seems that it uses predefined names such as :
]Greek_zeta,Cyrillic_je, and so on .. so where are these symbols defined ? at
]compile time ? or there is another script to define them ?
]
]Thank you for your support
]
]