Re: Arabic Shaping Patch

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 11:49 am, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 November 2002 12:37, Angus Leeming wrote:
> > Isam, you seem to me to be describing input using the "Compose" key,
> > a.k.a Multi_key, which LyX certainly does support. Eg with latin1
> > encoding Compose a ' -> �Compose u " ->
> > Compose l = ->
> >
> > I'm no expert but assume that Arabic encoding can use this too.
>
> I am not 100% sure what you mean .. but what I exactly mean is:
> the letter ALEF have a shape .. the letter LAM have a shape .. when you put
> the letters LAM_ALEF in that sequance in a word, they will not have the
> shape of LAM+ALEF , but instead they have another shape .. so there will be
> one shape for 2 letters .. here is what I mean ..
>   I guess that Far east languages have this complex shaping, where more
> than one keyboard key are used to compose one shape .. in Arabic we have it
> as when two letters LAM and ALEF come after each other, they have another 1
> shape instead of 2 ..
>
> So this is not a keyboard issue, but rather a shaping issue ..

Ok, now I understand you too. As I understand it, LyX does not support this
BUT CJK-LyX does. CJK-LyX is a patched version of LyX for Chinese, Japanese
and Korean language users: http://cellular.phys.pusan.ac.kr/cjk.html

I think that the plan is to eventually merge the two codes (LyX and CJK-LyX)
together but first LyX must use unicode internally.

Regards,
Angus