Re: multiple encodings in katoob

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 01:49, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
On Friday 10 May 2002 12:43, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> Hi all,
> currently katoob assumes windows-1256 encoding of file content if it's
> not a valid utf-8
> but this leads to improper display of iso encoded files...
> is there a way to diff. between iso & windows encoding ?
> the only thing i'm trying is to avoid adding a drop down menu with all
> encodings...

BTW .. I can't wait to try Katoob .. probelm is that O do not have qt.devel
:-)
no don't tell me ;)
it's gtk :)
you'll need gtk+ >= 2.0 "there is 2.0.1, 2.02
I'm afraid there is no way to just figure out the given encoding of a file.
What I would suggest is that you have it open utf-8 by default. If the file
is unreadable then the user would have an option to 'convert to utf-8' and
a choice between cp1256/iso8859-6 leaving cp1256 as the default.

i thought of that but i wanted to automate the process as much as i can

But maybe someone knows of a way to guess the encoding ;)
i had an idea
for example: the letter "meem" in the 1256 encoding has the binary 0xE3 while in the iso encoding has 0xE5
can't we use such diff. to obtain the encoding ?
i really don't have a clear idea
--
-- Uniball @ DALnet