Re: multiple encodings in katoob

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 06:43:13PM +0300, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> Hi all,
> currently katoob assumes windows-1256 encoding of file content if it's
> not a valid utf-8
> but this leads to improper display of iso encoded files...
> is there a way to diff. between iso & windows encoding ?
> the only thing i'm trying is to avoid adding a drop down menu with all
> encodings...
> thanks for help

I'm afraid there is no way to just figure out the given encoding of a file.
What I would suggest is that you have it open utf-8 by default. If the file
is unreadable then the user would have an option to 'convert to utf-8' and
a choice between cp1256/iso8859-6 leaving cp1256 as the default.

But maybe someone knows of a way to guess the encoding ;)

later