Re: Arabic & emacs

On Thu, 9 May 2002 12:25:34 +0900 (JST),
  "TAKAHASHI Naoto" <ntakahas m17n org> wrote:

> Nadim Shaikli writes:
>
> > I'm now more eager than ever to get my hands on the code :-)
> > Any progress on when to expect a public release ?
>
> We are very sorry, but I have not yet received the permission to
> release the codes.  Please be patient.
>
> However, there is a good news.  What we have asked is the permission
> to release code that makes Emacs handle Arabic, and not "the code
> attached below".  While bureaucratic procedures go slowly, we
> have successfully improved our code.  Now it runs with the latest
> version of Emacs and the character-joining algorithm is smarter than
> before.  Which means you will have a improved version.

A couple of things -

 1. I'm afraid we didn't see any attached code (there were no
    attachments in your email) unless I misunderstood something.

    You seem to talk about two codes - one that hasn't been
    released yet and another that was attached.  Could you
    elaborate on each and their intent/difference if any ?
    I'm a bit confused in that regard.

 2. Is there a URL/page on this subject anywhere with which
    we can track progress (I feel horrid with regards of
    constantly bothering ya ;-)

 3. What package is required for the code that you've developed
    for Arabic support ?  Is it still under Leim/Quail or it
    is under some other native support ?

> > BTW: how does the code you have in your possession relate to the
> >      work taking place on the 'emacs-bidi' mailing-list (considering
> >      its been extremely quiet of late) ?
>
> Our code for displaying Arabic will eventually use their intelligent
> bidi rendering algorithm.  Currently, our code reoders the
> right-to-left text in a very simple way.
>
> Sorry again for the late procedure.

With the recent bidi discussion,

  http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-bidi/2002-June/thread.html

it doesn't look like Bidi will be available anytime soon (unless
someone volunteers, hint hint arabeyes people :-) yet there was
a very interesting screenshot,

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DisplayEngineForArabic

The screenshot notes both correct Arabic and English (eluding at
the usage of bidi).  Was there Bidi involved ?  Could we see more
screenshots (URL/site) ?

Regards and sorry for the rather late reply.