Re: [I18n]bdftruncate again ;)

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> But isn't it a suitable glyph encoding for Arabic?

(Forgive me if I'm repeating the obivious)

Unicode is designed to be a character set and encoding
but not a glyph encoding. For example the character 'A'
has one charset (and encoding) point but could have a
bold glyph, italic glyph, or san-serif glyph if a font
so wished.

A particular Arabic character may need different glyphs
depending on what surrounds it:

 glyph for the first letter in a word
 glyph for a letter in the middle of a word
 glyph for a letter at the end of a word
 glyph for a letter that is a single letter word

Thus the Unicode value for the character does not
by itself indicate which glyph to use. Either the
app or the drawing code must address this to get
correct display.

--
Brian Stell