feedback needed on fonts behavior in consoles on intel platforms

Hey,
I would like to know if you folks have the same behavior as I do.
Under a PowerPC architecture, it is possible to set different fonts for
different virtual terminals, which is supposed to be the correct
behavior.
On intel platforms I tested on however, a change of fonts on one virtual
terminal seems to affect all others, plus a switch to and from X
restaure the font that was there before X started.
I would like a confirmation of this before I go on and simply add a
feature in Akka that palliates what seems to be a Linux/XFree86 bug (?).

Regards,
Chahine