Re: Arabic & Vim-6.0 patch

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:13:46 +0100
 "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram at moolenaar dot net> wrote:

> Nadim -
>
> > Here's a preliminary patch for Arabic support to Vim-6.0 (vanilla).
> > Keep in mind that this patch might (and possible will) change as
> > further things are added, etc (I'm posting on Bram's behest).  This
> > patch also includes the recent 'rightleft to commandline' patch sent
> > recently.
> >
> > All files are maintained here,
> >
> >   http://www.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/vim/
>
> Thanks.  I'll leave the testing to people who actually use Arabic.

Actually a great deal of people are using it on a daily basis now
(I'd estimate a minimum at least 15-20 people helping our efforts
on www.arabeyes.org)

> One minor remark: When I would include this in Vim later, I would
> prefer the layout to match the rest of the Vim sources.  It's easier
> if you don't put extra spaces and braces.  For example:
>
>   if ( curwin->w_p_rl && ((firstc == '/') || (firstc == '?')) )
>
> I would write this as:
>
>   if (curwin->w_p_rl && (firstc == '/' || firstc == '?'))

Noted - It's a matter of habit I guess :-)

> It looks like this patch only does shaping, but not BiDi yet.
> Is that so?

That is indeed so - Bidi is an area I'd like to get into (haven't
had time just yet though); I am also aware that another person,
Yousof Mortazavi (yousof at engsoc dot org), is also looking into
this area (there might be others).  Maybe we could coordinate our
efforts to speed-up Bidi's inclusion into VIM, thoughts ?

Out of curiosity - which VIM release will contain the Arabic shaping code ?

Thanks...