Re: Arabic Keyboard Problem

At 12:00 ã 04/01/2002 -0800, you wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:59:52 +0200
"Mohammed Yousif" <mhdyousif at gmx dot net> wrote:

> Well, we aren't related to microsoft, we want to do what we think is right,
> I mean I always get diappointed cuz of this bad arrangement of keys in
> Microsoft Windows, and when I did that change I made it so when the user
> type thal he get thal we can also put the less, greater chars anywhere
> else may be in <BKSL> or something else that's less useless

[snip snip]

> the keyboard layout needs restructuring indeed :)
>
> but always remember that we are not working to make this keyboard layout
> Microsoft compatible, we do just what we think is right and comfortable for
> all of us, (Microsoft is not standard to follow after all)
>
> but as this keyboard layout is for all of us not only for me, so if isam and
> others agrees with you, I would be happy to change it or you can do it
> yourself

Mohammed, please keep in mind that there are STANDARDS out there and that
we MUST follow them (as ugly or illogical as they might seem - hopefully
Arabeyes' existence now might start changing that attitude and might get
involved in setting other Arabic standards (if there are any still left
to set :-))

With that said though - please note that we have agreed to use the Arabic
microsoft keyboard encodings as a starting point (since it is indeed the
most popular keyboard out there).

I don't know what you mean , you want the user to type 'thal' and get '\' instead! I don't.

If you need to see more info on what that keyboard looks like, visit

http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/keyboards/arabic.html

And for more information on this topic, you might want to look at
what was done in relations to that in the recent vim work (note the
'arabic_iso-10646-1.vim' file)

http://www.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/vim/

Hope this issue is NOW settled (Isam, I believe in a previous post, notes
the same stance).

Regards & Salam.