Re: Maalam - suggestion

Hi Nadim,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. In fact when I named Maalam I thought of "Coordinate Plane". I agree that with no tashkeel it can be easily confused with Moalim !!! And that is definetly not what Maalam is supposed to be ;)

To remove this confusion I agree to rename it ;) I would like to hear some opinions here since, for technical reasons, it is preferable to do this only once !

I'm offering some name suggestions, don't pay attention to the
spelling; just some thoughts on related issues.

+ Bayani (related to 'graph')
I like this one !

+ Muqawas (related to 'curve')
Sounds negative to me. As though the program is curved ...

+ Watar (related to 'sinew')
Why not ? Though it can be confused with a musical program ;)

+ Nuqta (related to 'point')
Rather negative: a tiny program ! (also to be confused with nukta: joke !)

+ Mukhatat (related to 'plot')
Well. But sound like "project" to me.

+ Mehwar (related to 'axis')
I definetly like this one. (Maybe spelled Mihwar ?)

+ Shabaka (related to 'grid')
Sounds like a network program ;)

+ Munaseeq (related to 'coordinate')
At school we would say "Ihdathiya" for coordinate. I can't figure out the arabic word for Munaseeq !

+ Aseel (related to 'origin')
(sounds like a dictionnary ;)) Or maybe Markaz ? But there's a commercial product on Windows called Origin that is used to plot graphs...

+ Hawiya (related to 'container')
Confusable with abyss ;)))

So my preferences are: 1- Mehwar (or Mihwar ?). 2- Bayani. 3- Perhaps Watar ?

Please people give your opinion. About all Nadim's naming suggestions, not only my preferences, this is an open project ;)

I would like to introduce another question. I don't know if it is preferable to start a new thread for it and even to mail the doc list.

There is an issue about the scientific terminology between Mashriq and Maghrib. It seems that there are no standard notations. However I am not sure if it is between Maghrib and Mashriq or Algeria and the rest of the arab world ;) (apart from the differnce between the digits used !)

I give one example: the Cosine function is called "Jayb Tamam" everywhere in the arab world (fortunately because it is an ancient word). However, the notation is "Jata" in Mashriq and "Tajib" in Maghrib(or only algeria ?). There are of course a lot of such examples.

The point is: Since Maalam (or Mehwar or Bayani ;)) is supposed to be used by all the arab community, it is important to define a rule:
1- Define a standard (unlikely?).
2- or Use both notations (the user configures the program).
3- or Use a notation over the other.

Please people I need your advice. Especially people from Maghrib to tell me if it is a real Maghrib-Mashriq issue or only a Algeria-Rest_Of_the_Arab_world one.

Thank you,

Youcef.

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp