Re: OpenOffice & Arabic

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:21:13 -0400,
  "Hesham Hassan" <hesham bestweb net> wrote:

> It seems to be a localized version of OpenOffice 1.0, however, my experience
> with a localized version of OpenOffice shows that, at least under Linux, no
> shaping or ordering of Arabic letters occurs whatsoever... Maybe under
> Windows it is different, but according to l10n.openoffice.org, they are
> still working on localizing the User Interface itself (which is all the
> localized version really needs), but on one of the messages on their mailing
> list in July, I read that they have finished support for Arabic and Hebrew
> CTL, and when version 743 comes out it will have support for that.

I wasn't able to find that post, could you kindly provide a URL.  From
the sound of you are saying, Arabic (and Bidi) support has already been
incorporated -- if its in the interface, certainly its not far off to
making it to the actual application as well, no ?

> On Friday 09 August 2002 06:08 am, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 03:54:43PM +0200, Hatem Ben wrote:
> >
> > > http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openoffice/localized/1.0.0/

So if this is a localized version of OpenOffice, why isn't it included
in OpenSource's source ?  Were there issues to why they had opted not
to accept it ?  Details ?

As noted - it would really be ideal if we could wrap-up all these
various issues relating to OpenOffice and get an answer to all these
bits of questions and most importantly why the various Arabic
code/support hasn't been included to their repository ?

Thanks & Salam..