Re: Vim-6.0 & Arabic

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 20:55:36 -0500 (EST)
 "Yousof Mortazavi" <yousof at engsoc.org> wrote:

> I have looked into the Farsi module in Vim, and have learned bits
> and pieces of hacking vim, however, switching between the two
> modes (rl and norl) are a bit tedious to handle (for example when
> entering numbers or embedding Latin text). It was my intention to
> first implement BiDi so that characters entered are automatically
> reordered according to the BiDi Algorithm. After I planned to
> handle shaping and joining which you are now working on.

I applaud your approach in regards to Bidi; it was on our list of things
that we needed to tackle, but we opted to defer it for later due to the
complexity involved and our humble opinion that Bram (Vim's author)
needs to be involved and needs to approve the approach for any of our
new code to make its into his main code trunk.  We've thus opted to take
the path of least resistance and least code change first :-)

Have you been in contact with Bram regarding Bidi ?  It might be
advantageous for us to show Bram its importance and its requisite
need in noting its necessity from both of our communities.