Re: Kuwait Linux proposal

--- Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi arabeyes org> wrote:
> Salam ..
> I guess you read Kuwait Linux's email .. here is a glimpse of what they said:
>
> > Following the SOS message you posted last two days, we decided to
> > participate in the translation of KDE 3.1. For this aim, we will establish
> > enshallah an Arabization department with a number of dedicated full-time
> > translators and one or more programmers to finish the translation within 2
> > to three moths. This department will be under my supervesion. What we would
> > like to emphasis here is that Kuwait Linux will participate in the
> > translation provided that:
> > 1) KDE mentions "Kuwait Linux" in the list of translators on their web site
> > 2) Arabeyes mentions "Kuwait Liux" in the list of translators on their web
> > site.
>
> Here is my thoughts about it:
> - If the quality of their translation is good I guess that this is a very
> good
> offer.
> - About mentioning Kuwait Linux in the KDE translators page. There is no such
>
> page in KDE .. the page in KDE indicate the coordinators and there is
> Elzubeirs name and my name .. what we can tell them, that they can add their
> name in the PO files that they work on.. as in most PO files there is a
> string for Translator's name, and email .. this name and email shows in the
> About box of that application when it is using the Arabic Interface.
> - About Mentioning Kuwait Linux in Arabeyes translator's list .. no harm with
>
> that .. after all, all translators have their name in the list, either they
> are individuals or companies.
>
> Issues to consider:
> - Arabeyes will be the only one with the access to the KDE CVS for the
> kde-i18n-ar module, meaning that the last commit is for Arabeyes from
> Arabeyes.
> - Kuwait Linux will be part of the translators team, in the doc list, working
>
> and coordinating with other translators.
> - They should use the Arabeyes CVS, branching splitting is not something that
>
> is advised.
> - They are urged to look upon the KDE documentation (after finishing KDE
> Interface), and Gnome Arabic Translation Project.
>
> Here is some of my thoughts .. it would be really helpful if this works, but
> hopfully with the atmosphere of coordination..

A few things to keep in mind - we can mention their name on arabeyes' KDE
page (like we had done in the past with other individual translators and
possibly provide a link to their site -- I hope they are not selling things
and do offer "open/free" services).  They can also list themselves in the
translator sections of the files they touch/translate.  Beyond that I don't
see that we really need to fragment the process - they should be treated as
an individual (with a few extra perks).  I am very adament about not creating
CVS's all over the place to suite their needs - we should maintain ONE central
repository and for the time-being it will be on arabeyes.  You should also
get a time commitment from them -- meaning how long are they planning on
doing this (ie. it will be more than just one day, right ?) can take take
responsiblity for an entire-subtree (again akin to what we talked about with
regards to sub-sectioning the trees) and be _always_ responsible for it (of
course with room to grow if they want more work).

In short - I pretty much agree with everything that has need noted, just
be careful not to promise too many things.