Re: Arabic & emacs

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:14:24PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> I didn't say that nor did I make any "unilateral" decisions that
> affect the project; I opted to work on what I saw needed to be

Only if you consider the time spent on Arabeyes does not affect
the project. Or, deciding on priorities that are being addressed.

> worked on and I didn't want to waste time discussing a none issue
> (I emailed 'developer' with thoughts, and I didn't see a need to
> get anyone's approval).  As noted, as long as results are gotten,
> all is happy.

The post on 'developer' did not mention that you are intending to
follow-up and commit yourself to writing patches yourself.

> I was pounced-on when I was vocal and detailed and very involved,
> now I'm being probed and questioned yet again.  I think it would

There is a difference between making everyone around you know what
you are doing, since we are supposedly a team, and being vocal
about opinions on how every sub-project should proceed.

> be best to leave it be and just concentrate on getting results ASAP
> by all those involved.  Let's not get dragged into this again...

And when those involved don't know who is involved? This is an invitation
to chaos.

> I've said in the past, in order not to get in anyone's way and not
> to get in confrontations - I've elected a lower-profile route (this
> was all clearly stated in the past and should come as no surprise).
> I really don't want to get back into this, please !!!

This is my recommendation, you may take it or leave it -- it's of course
up to you.

-  Put up a simple page on your homedir to indicate a simple list of
   what you are looking into, and what progress is being made.

-  When you decide on something to go after, make a simple announcement
   declaring your intentions. Something similar to how Kamal announced
   his intentions to work on PuTTY. I didn't see any confrontation there.

There are several reasons for this:

- anyone with extra information after seeing your work may offer help
- observers are aware of the on-going work being done
- advocates 'collaboration' and cooperative work (vs. single-man work)
- opens the floor for technical discussions on the 'developer' list that
  may prove both educational to those directly involved and others just
  watching.

> Mohammed, come on now..  Live and let live.

I'm done here.

later