Re: Translation volunteers

On Monday 03 June 2002 17:36, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> Given the quality issue of giving out CVS accounts to new
> translators and the need for a filtering system we need
> a plan.

The Quality of translation is a really important issue .. with the level of
translation we spend more time checking and fixing than translating .. if the
quality of translation is higher we won't face this issue ..

> What I suggest is the following:
>
>   1. Provide a 'sample' PO to translate -- make it so it
>      has a bit of every little 'strange' thing they may
>      encounter + a way by which they are accustomed to
>      our style of translation.
>   2. Once they translate that file successfully and after
>      review -- Isam forwards their name to me so I can
>      create the cvs account.

That is great .. but .. to make our Style Clear I need to spend time in
writing "The Translation Style Guide" .. There is a prety great templete by
Sun donated to Gnome here :
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/style-guides/index.html

I will be done with the exams at the 9th of june .. after it in 2 days the
Style Guide will be there .. then we will put forth the 'sample' PO .. we
can't expect a translator to come forth with no propoer documentation ..

I also need to put some Gnome realted Question in the FAQ such as the
accelerator issue, the translators_credit, and so ..

> That would also require that Isam subscribe to the
> 'contact' list. Reply to any request that has anything
> to do w/ KDE/Gnome/etc.

I will subscribe now to the contact list ..

> As it is, I am not going to be creating anymore CVS
> accounts for translators without being pre-approved by
> Isam (or anyone Isam delegates).

infact I guess it would be usfull to deactivate the more than 4 weeks dead
accounts to get the chance to limit the translators that are capable of
making a change now .. and to get the chance to check the current status for
our translators level .. and so ..

--
Yours,
Isam Bayazidi