Re: [admin] Updates on the new website

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Abderrahim Kitouni <a dot kitouni at gmail dot com> wrote:

I don't have any problem with drupal 7 despite the warning (I even
installed the test instance with drupal 7 at first). Here is another
test instance running drupal 7:
http://abderrahim.arablug.org/arabeyes-d7/
I'll see both, 6 and 7 :)

I see Abdalrahim has already offered to start a translation campaign :)
I'd like to delay this until the website is complete, and start a
translation campaign for all the site (including every module we might
end up using) just before the launch.
I think we should launch soon; the current website doesn't seem useful anyway!

> Mailman is a "bit" painful ;)
> We can always First make it run then make it run better!

OK
ok

I'm fine either way, as it's really simple to set up.
Ok, then we'll have it, right? :)

> > Looks nice, but doesn't seem to be available for drupal 7...
>
> The module is very minimal. I'm sure I can port it fast if needed.

OK, but let's get the thing to work first, and then make it better ;-p
+1
> What we can do is to use drupal 6 + node_import to import the content then
> upgrade to drupal 7 :P
>
> I can also write a simple importer that can be invoked via drush if needed.

Sorry if it's more work for you, but I prefer the latter.
I'm good either way, but be careful when considering an upgrade (I have a bad experience with this word ;) ) .

IMO, nobody is using the current site, so it isn't a problem if we don't
have all the features. For me, the only important thing is to have
project pages that contain informations and updates/announcements. (I
also think the website should be slightly less formal).
+1
Agree on all, but not sure about the formality thing!

> > For the blocks on the right sidebar (listing projects for each
> > category), I think it is easy to do them using views. But how about
> > project pages? like this one:
> > http://projects.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=GNOME
> > How can one do something like this?
>
> If we want something minimal then:
> 1) Each project is a custom CCK node.
> 2) Contributors are assigned via the user reference field.
> 3) Notes for projects are another content type done via CCK.
> 4) Each note references its parent project via node reference
> 5) http://drupal.org/project/nodereference_url can be used to put an "add note" link
>   to each project.

That is enough IMO. But what's needed to actually show the notes below
the project informations?
Do these things look like the relations in a database?
If so, I might be able to help in the design! (3NF datbase skills ;) ).

> The permissions part is really complex but it depends on what we want from each project node!

I guess we can leave this to the "make it run better" part.

ok
One other thing that would be useful but can wait for now is how to
handle todos, I've seen a few modules but most of them don't work with
drupal 7 (I guess this could replace Abdalrahim's
calendar-for-tracking-deadlines).
IMO, It would also be great to have a calendar too, even if later on.
It would help the users of calendars organize their time better, and get notified about the new projects and their dead-lines (I know it coz I use those things ;) ). Calendars use a unified system to communicate, and thus can be connected to personal calendars e.g.: Google Calendar .

Regards,
Abderrahim