Re: [admin] Updates on the new website

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:17:34PM +0100, Abderrahim Kitouni wrote:
> *hides behind Youssef*
>
> Seriously, the Arabic translation of drupal 7 is (or at least was when
> we started) incomplete and there is a big warning about views for drupal
> 7 on http://drupal.org/project/views so we (Youssef and me) decided to
> use drupal 6 for now.
I saw it, and it seems to need a lot of work!
How are we doing with Gnome & XFCE ??
I'm thinking of a translation campaign for Drupal 7 ;)
Anyway, I failed to get an svn/git link; I only got directed to pootle!!

I used views despite the warning :D

It worked fine for me but no it seems that views is ready.
The only _practical_ advantage I see with Drupal 7 is that we won't
have to worry about upgrading it soon.

I guess drupal 7 offers better content translation support. I guess we
can also get that with drupal 6 but it might be a pain to update to 7 :(

However if the translation is incomplete then we should either:
1) Stick to drupal 6 and work on the translation.
2) Jump to drupal 7 and fix the translation _if it won't take a long time_
About time: it "will" take time to translate Drupal 7; I took a look at the translation
I guess we will have to update to drupal 7 anyway at some point and we need
to have the translation there but I'd rather not stop the website efforts just to
fix the translation.

We can live with some untranslated strings not visible to the end user.
+1; I think we should translate the strings that are available to visitors, and then the users; at the end, the administrative would be translated ...
Do we have contact with those in charge for Drupal translation?
Do we know whether the current state of the translation is satisfactory or not ?
@ Kitouni:
What do you think ?!

We can always First make it run then make it run better!
+1

At least Fakhouri thinks it's needed so we need to investigate this.
+1
Nah! That's going to be a mess.

What we can do is to use drupal 6 + node_import to import the content then
upgrade to drupal 7 :P
It seems like a workaround, rather than a solution! :P

I can also write a simple importer that can be invoked via drush if needed.
What are the chances to port that importer anyway?

> I don't have a proper TODO list, but what I think is the most important
> is:
>       * move the (static) content of the current site (to the test
>         instance) updating it in the process;
>       * translate said content to Arabic;
I think we should announce that in the meeting, and get some contributions
>       * investigate how to model the features of the current website in
>         drupal.
Drupal related technical stuff >>  I don't know much about those, but I think Zayed might be able to help, since he uses Drupal.

> I think your help is most needed with the latter. I had some questions
> to ask you anyway.

The problem when I started working on the drupalification of arabeyes is that
we didn't know what's needed from the website. If we know that now then it will make the process way easier.
Announcements (as in blogs) with threaded replies that allow non-subscriped people to comment, profiles, some micro-blogging and  social-networking integrations, mailing lists, svn/git for the already dead project that remain useful, a calendar to track the deadlines (I insist on this one :P)

> For the blocks on the right sidebar (listing projects for each
> category), I think it is easy to do them using views. But how about
> project pages? like this one:
> http://projects.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=GNOME
> How can one do something like this?

If we want something minimal then:
1) Each project is a custom CCK node.
2) Contributors are assigned via the user reference field.
3) Notes for projects are another content type done via CCK.
4) Each note references its parent project via node reference
5) http://drupal.org/project/nodereference_url can be used to put an "add note" link
 to each project.
Donno much about these! :-/

6) Permissions will be a bit complex:
  - Users referenced as contributors will be given update access to the project
    using http://drupal.org/project/nodeaccess_userreference
  - Only contributors can create notes and this is done via http://drupal.org/project/nodeaccess_nodereference

The permissions part is really complex but it depends on what we want from each project node!
Can we make users' groups? each group can include multiple users, and each user can be added to multiple groups, and permissions are given to groups. When we want to give someone some permissions, we just add him/her to the right group!

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.