register process 'n stuff

Guys, I know we have a massive list of things that are needed to be done
to the website and various backend things (and I'm not sure that we shaved
anything off that list in the past 3-4 months).  Alas, here are a couple of
crucial things,

 1. People should NOT be able to register with NON-ASCII characters.
    If a user enters anything outside the normal realm, then it ought
    to get rejected.  We now have such a case (using utf-8) and it is
    not working properly in various places (like listing the person
    properly if the URL is specified using his UTF-8 name), etc.

 2. People should be able to modify their pages from the 'people' page
    when they login (and so should administrators) - there is an old open
    bug about this in bugzilla

 3. All entires in mysql should be listed in the person's people page
    except the person's email.  The birthdate, for instance, is missing.

 4. The following URL format now doesn't seem to work,
      http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?userid=22
    It should work just fine.

 5. If a user re-registers a mechanism has to be in-place to catch that
    and prompt him to modify his info instead (by sending him the pass
    to his email address or ...)  We have had a number of people registering
    2 and 3 times with each time a new username and id is created, etc and
    that simply not happen.

 6. Usernames should not have dashes or spaces.  If someone registers with
    'Al-Kheer', username should simply be 'alkheer' or at worst 'al_kheer'

I realize that alot of these things are not difficult to do, so can we
simply get 'em done.  Youcef now that you are back, could you spend
20-30 minutes and get these taken care of.

Thanks & Salam.