Re: idea to multi-lang site

I'm glad to see someone willing to tackle this issue :)
Glad to have you aboard Adel.

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
--- "b. adel" <netdur at hotmail dot com> wrote:

hey, this is idea
create folder under name lang, this folder will include translation files... for example: ar.php and en.php

My idea for now is to create an arabic folder which will mirror the english site page for page.

Initially the structure isn't optimal, but we can work on the overall structure over time. Personally, I'd like to split out some of the larger include files into smaller, more manageable ones. As well as creating logical folders to store different sections of the site.

For now, let's get the ball rolling with the least amount of fuss. Eventually, this might allow us to split the workload so you do the arabic site and I do the english. I'm assuming we might not always want the two sites to be completely identical.

[snip]

<?Php
// use next like to set value to $lang_file which get via url
// and as may notice I set "en" as default, to avoid errors
$lang_file = (isset($_GET['lang'])) ? $_GET['lang'] : 'en';

// include the file... in example will be ar.php... note url
include_once('lang/' .$lang_file. '.php');

The site has arabeyes.php as a global include. Let's create an arabic arabeyes.php and not have to worry about detecting language. A link on the english site takes you to the arabic version and vice versa.

Cool, simple idea. You could internal to each file simply 'if' for the 'lang' variable and go down two (or more) different paths. Arafat, what is your opinion and how best to proceed.

Right now there are 2 bigger obstacles to getting the arabic site up and running. An arabic database to mirror the english one, and actual translations. Let's start with these two and then we can work out the logistics of the php.

Whatcha say Adel, you feel up for it?

Arafat, what is your priority list now so that Mr. Adel can be privy to what is coming and what to work on next - do please reply in earnest. I realize you have a long list of TODOs, so list the top 5 things in mind and let's divide-up the work.

Working on the thankyou page. I actually had a question for you on that. Does this site need to be dynamic or can I make it static?

Mr. Adel, one quickie thing (maybe 1-2 days worth of work). I need a redesign of the following website,

http://qamoose.arabeyes.org

I'd like it to look more like our Arabeyes site (ie same colors/theme, etc);
I also want it to look nicer than it currently is and more professional.
Do you have any ideas ?  (Arafat, you might want to ping Melissa on this
as well since she did wonders before :-)

I'll ask Melissa to look at it.