Re: Website (again)

--- Arafat Mohamed <biku at comcast dot net> wrote:
> Just so you all know, I've started working on the site yesterday.
> It seems to me that the 2 top priorities right now are:
> 1) Thank you page.
> 2) Left side menu.

Yeah and you can add 3) arabic content to that :-)

> If there's anything else that needs to be set higher please let me know
> so I can take it into consideration.

None that I know of - there are bits a pieces of things, but with your
renewed promise/commitment, we'll inshalla get to it all.

> Also, I recall seeing a message from someone else wanting to help with
> the site. Could the person(s) in question please get in touch with me so
> we can begin coordinating?

That was 'Mohammed Khafaga', I have instructed him to join this list.
Arafat, I will mail you in private a list of 7 people that have listed
PHP proficiency in their registration application.  See if you can
contact them all and see if they can help with specific tasks.  Experience
has shown that you'd be better off asking and assigning tasks and tracking
them instead of simply stating the nebulous "can you help".

> >  1. We need a thank you page which will contain various "This is what this
> >     individual/company donated and here is their logo and a link to their
> >     site" is needed.
> >     - I'm envisioning a single page with various sections (per date) with
> >       a standard logo of those that donate something.  We'll be announcing
> >       a big donation (a couple actually) and need this page ready.
>
> Should there be a time limit on when to display the donor link? i.e.
> stop displaying after 2 months. Or do we do it as in last 3 donors
> (e.g.). Also, I figure allowing the donor a few lines to write what
> they'd like (plug their company). Is there a problem with this?

Nope, no time limit - we currently have 3 entries to include on that page
and all are short/brief.  I'm thinking of something akin to our ACE page
or similar - in it we give a general thanks to all that are on the page
and then list per date their donation and a very brief special thanks and
their logo (if there is a logo) with a link to their site.  Nothing fancy.  You
might want to look to see what other projects have done in this regard.

The page should be under the "Support Us" right menu title "Special Thanks"
(or "Thank You!").  So it could look like this,

 - Support Us -
    Donate !
 Special Thanks

Or so I think anyways.

> >  2. As you might have read, we need an Arabic translation of our site.  A
> >     number of people might help in this regard (but we've seen lots of talk
> >     before and little/no action), but we need a means to click on 'Arabic'
> >     to see UTF-8 Arabic content/menus etc.  This will take some time, I'm
> >     guessing since the mysql will have to be replicated, etc.  So the
> >     sooner this gets looked into the better.
>
> Youcef, would you be willing to take lead on this as it's a long(er)
> term project? Just help set up the tables and coordinate the
> translations. I'll do the code when we reach critical mass.

As noted (per his reply), youcef would only be available for quickie questions
and suggestions (as the one he gave already).  I think we need to assign a
capable person to look solely at this.  Arafat, you will continue to be the
ONLY person with an account to Arabeyes (the machine), so all things will
funnel through you and will require YOUR approval (at a min).

> >  3. We still await the look change (left-side menu).
>
> Yeah, I thought I had this then realized no one liked what I did :) I'll
> do a better job.

We all like the template look VERY much.

> >  4. There are heaps and heaps of issues/suggestions - can we start
>       dissecting and prioritizing them ?
>
> I still have a list of outstanding issues as well as bug reports. Let's
> finish the 2 top priorities then I'll try to order issues and hopefully
> get a consensus on it.

OK, sounds good - just don't disappear on us and like Youcef said, keep
us informed even if you will be out for more than 3-4 days drop us a line
so we all know.

BTW: The www CVS contents are not live and we need to move away from that.
     Meaning, if you check something into CVS, then we need to reflect
     that change ASAP onto the live pages since I (and others) might be
     adding minor things on top of your changes (case in point the
     addition of the QaMoose link on our right menus).  If there is going
     to be upheaval and testing required in which code needs to be kept
     somewhere, then I highly suggest creating a branch and working on
     that (to show prototypes, etc) until such a time that the branch
     gets merged back to the main line.  We need to be very organized
     and structured, no one should modify the contents of the live www
     (the only legal thing to do there would be 'cvs update') so that
     we don't start modifying files outside the realm of CVS.

BTW: I will mail you that list of possible people/help soon.

Salam and I am VERY excited to see the upcoming additions/changes.