OpenArabia

Salam,

For some time now, Arabeyes members and contributors wanted to create
a community portal for all things Arabic & open source. To quote Nadim
back in February of 2005:

"...OpenArabia.org (OAO for short), is available for us to really make it the
premier portal for all things Open Source and Arabic.  The idea is for OAO
to bring the various factions together, from Arabeyes to all the other LUGs,
projects and entities.  OpenArabia.org should not pertain to source-code
openness either, it should venture into any and all Open Source mediums
(books, data, encyclopedias, etc).  The various ideas and details can be
worked out later as the vision(s) are too grand to be noted at this
juncture...."[1]

There have been several initiatives in the past to jump start the
OpenArabia.org project but they didn't take. But the time seems ripe
now to bring this topic to the discussion table once more and see if
anyone is willing to adopt this project, and when I say adopt, I mean
someone literally needs to make this project his/her baby.

Its simple, we need a web admin to setup the various pages and
sections of the portal and do upkeep, someone who is comfortable with
CMSs... (Drupal, Joomla etc...). The web admin must understand exactly
what the purpose of OAO is and keep those goals in mind while crafting
the portal.

As with anything we do, this is best done through a group effort. But
to get the initiative off the ground someone will have to take the
lead. Anyone more familiar than me with the history of OAO please
chime in with your thoughts on this.

So, any takers?

Regards,

Abdulaziz,